How can I be sure, beyond even a shadow of doubt, that I am saved and going to heaven?
As I answer this question, I want everyone to remember that I am not answering HOW to be saved, but how to have assurance that you are saved. I’m going to assume that a salvation “experience” has occurred and that faith, repentance and obedience to God’s Word have been exercised.
With that assumption, how can you know if you are genuinely saved? CAN you know for sure? The Apostle John says YES!
1 John 5:13 – These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.
Hmmm, not very many ways to misinterpret that. So yes, we can know. But how?
- 1 John 2:3 – Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
- 1 John 2:5 – But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
- 1 John 3:2 – Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
- 1 John 3:14 – We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.
- 1 John 3:19 – And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.
- 1 John 3:24 – Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
- 1 John 4:2 – By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
- 1 John 4:6 – We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
- 1 John 4:7 – Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
- 1 John 4:13 – By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.
- 1 John 5:2 – By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.
- 1 John 5:19 – We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.
- 1 John 5:20 – And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
That certainly does not cover all the applicable Bible verses about being sure of your salvation, but I can assure you of one thing…. if you work through this list, evaluating your walk with God, praying for wisdom and studying God’s Word – you will be well on your way to the assurance you long for!
Hint: these verse pertain to obedience and relationships. The Christian life is manifested primarily in these to characteristics.
I would love to hear what you think about this. The more we can all teach each other HOW to be sure we are saved, the better off we are! Visit the messsage boards and tell me what you think gives us assurance of salvation: http://www.seriousfaith.com/message_boards/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=5&tid=1242