What does the Bible say about “living in sin”. I would like to point out specific passages and let the Bible speak for itself rather tham it appearing that I am tn one judging the sin.
Before I give you a list of verses, remember that there is a big difference between judging sinful behavior (comparing the behavior against God’s Word), and judging the state of a person’s heart. The only way we can avoid sin, or disciple others, is to “judge” what is sinful and forsake it. But we aren’t not called to look into a person’s heart and judge motives or intent. Only God is capable of that.
Here is a very helpful list from Torrey on the topic of sin. I hope you will find it as enlightening as I have:
1. Is the transgression of the law. 1Jo 3:4.
3. All unrighteousness is. 1Jo .
4. Omission of what we know to be good is. Jas 4:17.
5. Whatever is not of faith is. Ro 14:23.
6. The thought of foolishness is. Pr 24:9.
7. All the imaginations of the unrenewed heart are. Ge 6:5; .
8. Described as
a. Coming from the heart. Mt 15:19.
b. The fruit of lust. Jas 1:15.
c. The sting of death. 1Co .
d. Rebellion against God. De 9:7; Jos 1:18.
e. Works of darkness. Eph 5:11.
f. Dead works. Heb 6:1; 9:14.
j. Deceitful. Heb 3:13.
k. Disgraceful. Pr 14:34.
l. Often very great. Ex 32:20; 1Sa .
m. Often mighty. Am .
n. Often manifold. Am .
o. Often presumptuous. Ps 19:13.
p. Sometimes open and manifest. 1Ti .
q. Sometimes secret. Ps 90:8; 1Ti .
r. Besetting. Heb 12:1.
s. Like scarlet and crimson. Isa 1:18.
t. Reaching to heaven. Re 18:5.
11. All men are shapen in. Ps 51:5.
12. Scripture concludes all under. Ga 3:22.
13. No man is without. 1Ki ; Ec .
14. Christ alone was without. 2Co ; Heb ; ; 1Jo 3:5.
a. Abominates. De 25:16; Pr 6:16-19.
b. Marks. Job .
c. Remembers. Re 18:5.
d. Is provoked to jealousy by. 1Ki .
e. Is provoked to anger by. 1Ki 16:2.
h. Punishes. Isa ; Am 3:2.
16. The Law
b. Gives knowledge of. Ro 3:20; 7:7.
c. Shows exceeding sinfulness of. Ro 7:13.
d. Made to restrain. 1Ti 1:9,10.
e. By its strictness stirs up. Ro 7:5,8,11.
f. Is the strength of. 1Co .
g. Curses those guilty of. Ga 3:10.
18. No man can atone for. Mic 6:7.
19. God has opened a fountain for. Zec 13:1.
21. Christ’s blood redeems from. Eph 1:7.
22. Christ’s blood cleanses from. 1Jo 1:7.
a. Made free from. Ro 6:18.
b. Dead to. Ro 6:2,11; 1Pe .
c. Profess to have ceased from. 1Pe 4:1.
d. Cannot live in. 1Jo 3:9; .
e. Resolve against. Job 34:32.
f. Ashamed of having committed. Ro 6:21.
25. The word of God keeps from. Ps 17:4; 119:11.
26. The Holy Spirit convinces of. Joh 16:8,9.
27. If we say that we have no, we make God a liar. 1Jo .
28. Confusion of face belongs to those guilty of. Da 9:7,8.
29. Should be
c. Hated. Ps 97:10; Pr ; Am .
d. Abhorred. Ro 12:9.
e. Put away. Job .
f. Departed from. Ps 34:14; 2Ti .
g. Avoided even in appearance. 1Th .
h. Guarded against. Ps 4:4; 39:1.
i. Striven against. Heb 12:4.
j. Mortified. Ro 8:13;
k. Wholly destroyed. Ro 6:6.
30. Specially strive against besetting. Heb 12:1.
33. We should pray to God
a. To search for, in our hearts. Ps 139:23,24.
b. To make us know our. Job .
d. To keep us from. Ps 19:13.
e. To deliver us from. Mt 6:13.
f. To cleanse us from. Ps 51:2.
35. Blessings withheld on account of. Jer 5:25.
36. The wicked
b. Dead in. Eph 2:1.
d. Plead necessity for. 1Sa ,12.
e. Excuse. Ge ,13; 1Sa -15.
f. Encourage themselves in. Ps 64:5.
g. Defy God in committing. Isa 5:18,19.
h. Boast of. Isa 3:9.
i. Make a mock at. Pr 14:9.
j. Expect impunity in. Ps 10:11; 50:21; 94:7.
k. Cannot cease from. 2Pe .
n. Led by despair to continue in. Jer ; .
q. Throw the blame of, on others. Ge ,13; Ex 32:22-24.
t. Shall bear the shame of. Eze 16:52.
37. Shall find out the wicked. Nu 32:23.
39. Leads to
a. Shame. Ro 6:21.
b. Disquiet. Ps 38:3.
c. Disease. Job .
40. The ground was cursed on account of. Ge 3:17,18.
43. When finished brings forth death. Jas 1:15.
44. Death, the wages of. Ro 6:23.
Torrey, R. (1995, c1897). The new topical text book : A scriptural text book for the use of ministers, teachers, and all Christian workers.