What is salvation? What is grace?
That’s a WHOLE LOT of question in 6 words!!
These questions of course have been answered countless times by Bible teachers who shoes I’m not worthy dust off. Honestly, when I receive questions like this, people often just want to hear my “version” so they can see if I believe what they believe.
These are foundational Christian issues that can be done justice in one little answer from me.
So rather than try to give some doctrinal statement, let me use this opportunity to give you a list of foundational definitions every Christian should know, but few do.
Why should you know them? Well, why does a network engineer know computing terms? Why does a mechanic know automotive terms? Why does a CEO know business terms?
If the working professionals of the world knew as little about their profession as most Christians do about their faith, they would be shown the door before the five o’clock whistle. Yes, I know, that’s being judgmental…
So, if you are uneducated about the foundations of Christian doctrine, here’s a very basic list of terms to get you pointed in the right direction:
- Substitution—Christ dying on the cross in our stead 1 Pet. ; John
- Reconciliation—bringing together through a third party two opposing parties 2 Cor. 5:18–20
- Supplication (prayer)—communicating with God Luke ; Acts ; Rom. ; Jude 20
- Justification—God declaring a repentant sinner righteous Rom. 5:1;
- Sanctification—God setting us apart for growth and service John ; Eph. ; 1 Thess. 4:3–4;
- Foreknowledge—that attribute of God which allows Him to know all thing in advance; a natural result of His omniscience and omnipresence Acts ; Rom. ; 1 Pet. 1:2
- Predestination—God’s eternal plan whereby all those who respond to God on God’s terms are conformed to the image of Christ Rom. –30; Eph. 1:9–12
HEY! What about the questions? Okay, here’s the laser quick version:
What is salvation? It is being rescued from the just condemnation of eternal death that all people deserve because all people have violated God’s holy standard.
What is grace? It’s God giving you what you don’t deserve.