1Corinthians 2:9 However, as it is written: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”. (NKJV)
Do you think about Heaven every day as if it really, truly exists?
We go about trying to “get the most” out of our lives unaware or uncaring that this is only a whisper of our true existence. As I talk to people about this, it becomes apparent that most don’t truly think of Heaven as a tangible destination but more of a dreamy concept that is of little consequence in our “real” life.
I often hear comments like, “it’s scary to think about”, or “I don’t want the Lord to return yet, there are things I still want to do here” or “I just want to experience everything this life has to offer before going to Heaven”. By far the most common response I hear is “I’ve never really thought about it all that much”.
In truth, it should be difficult for us to get our mind OFF of Heaven. Let me ask you a question that might help stir your thoughts of Heaven today.
If you were told today that in one year you will inherit a beautiful estate and several millions of dollars, all free and clear, all yours…. do you think you would spend much time thinking about it over the next year? Do you think you would tell others? Would you plan for that day? Would you long for that day? Would you have a hard time NOT thinking about it?
And yet that is a paupers portion compared to the unimaginable joys and treasures our Lord is preparing for us the day we meet Him face to face.
Spend some time thinking about the reality of our life in Heaven:
- Most everything we truly love is either in Heaven, or will end up there: our Christian brothers and sisters, our saved family members, Jesus, our Father, the Spirit. (Heb 12:23, 1Pet 1:4, Phil 3:20, Matt 5:12)
- No tears, no sorrow, no pain, no regret, no sin, no temptation, no unending struggling with your flesh – the battle with sin will be over. You will live in perfect holiness, pure and sin-free for all of eternity and it won’t be a desperate battle to win, it will be the simple nature of our existence (Rev 22:3-5)
- An eternity of never ending blessing and enjoyment in God’s presence where everyday will be a new day of discovering God’s goodness
- After a million million million years we won’t be one day closer to the end or closer to exhausting God’s capacity to surprise us with His greatness, creativity or love
- We will eat and drink for pleasure, not for sustenance (Rev 2:7)
- Unimaginable beauty and experiences beyond anything we could ever begin to dream of (“no mind has conceived”)
- We will experience and explore God’s new Heaven and new earth, all remade to perfection by God. If you think there are beautiful scenes on this earth, they won’t compare with God’s recreated Heaven and earth (2Pet 3:11–12)
- We will be in the direct presence of God the Father and Jesus our Savior… we won’t have to be insecure about our relationship with Him anymore
- We will have a perfect body that never grows old, is never sick, is never injured or in pain (1John 3:2)
Do these truths excite you? If they are really true, we should have trouble NOT thinking about them. As Christians, our hope lies in our eternal destination that has already been decided, secured and prepared.
If Heaven is not “real” to you, ask the Lord to show you why.
- Is it because you have a lack of knowledge concerning what the Bible teaches about Heaven?
- Is it because you have embraced some myths about Heaven such as:
- It will be boring because all we do is sit around and have church
- We will float on clouds and play harps
- We stand around the throne of God and sing praise music for all eternity
- It won’t be any fun
- We’ll be God’s robots for all eternity
- Is it because you are to consumed with what THIS life has to offer?
- Where is your treasure? In this world or in Heaven? Where are you investing your time and resources?
- Do you love the things and pleasures of this world so much that Heaven is not enticing?
- Are you so consumed with the pleasures of this life that it leaves no time or room to long for Heaven?
- Are you still lost in your sin and not sure if you will even go to Heaven?
Think about Heaven today. Talk to someone else about it. Begin to live your life as if Heaven is a real place, a real destination, a real eternity.
Living life, mindful of the reality of Heaven, allows us to calmly and confidently embrace the trials of this life knowing that our destination and victory has already been decided. It is so exciting to think about the wonders and blessing God has in store for us!
Father, help us in our unbelief today to begin to grasp the reality and nature of Heaven. Help us to imagine, to wonder, to dream of our eternity with You and live knowing our destination is not only decided and secure, but already prepared and waiting. Amen.
Contemplation: Is heaven real? Is it a real as the place you are in right now? Do you believe what the Bible says about heaven? Why do you suppose its not more “exciting” to us?
Application: Like most things spiritual, the invisible things of God only become real as we spend more and more intimate time meditating on them. Heaven will become tangible and real to you the more you spend time thinking about it, reading about and talking about it.
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?