Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, (NKJV)
Did you know that every Christian has certain past, present and future facts that are absolutely true about them? Oh, not your everyday facts that are common to all men. No, these are wondrous eternal facts that well up out of the riches of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
In the first chapter of Ephesians, dear Christian, you find out that you are blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus. You were chosen before the world was ever created to be holy and blameless in God’s eyes, predestined to be adopted as one of God’s children and to receive a King’s inheritance. You were redeemed by Christ, bought out of your sin slavery, sealed with the guarantee of the Holy Spirit – having your spiritual eyes opened to the mysteries of God!
Don’t pass over that too quickly. There is enough in the last paragraph to drown you in the sea of Christ’s unsearchable riches! As if that were not plenty, let’s look in the second chapter for more facts:
- FACT: you were dead in sin, but now you are alive in Christ – 2.1
- You were dead in sin! Dead! Dead, dead, dead. Sin was your fate and destiny. You were hopelessly enslaved and condemned to eternal separation from God. Now you are alive in Christ! You are alive and your destiny now is an eternity with Jesus!
- FACT: you are seated in heavenly places with Christ Jesus – 2.6
- You now share Christ’s exaltation and pre-eminent (above all) glory. You are spiritually seated with Christ already having had the blessings of salvation bestowed on you.
- FACT: you are a product of God’s personal work – 2.10
- You are no mere commoner. You are no accident. You are a product of God’s own workmanship, purposely created and crafted by Him for His purposes.
- FACT: you are now created in Christ Jesus to do foreordained good works – 2.10
- Like your salvation, your sanctification and good works are predestined and orchestrated by a loving God who has planned them specifically for you alone.
- FACT: you are a new person at peace with God and reconciled to Him – 2.15-16
- You are no longer at war against God. God has no debt to collect from you. You have been reconciled to God and returned to His presence as a new person.
- FACT: you now have direct access to the throne room of the King of the Universe – 2.18
- You may now directly approach God because He sees you as He sees Christ. You now have access to very throne room of Heaven.
- FACT: you are no longer a stranger, but a citizen of heaven and a member of God’s household – 2.19
- You are not a foreigner, no longer a stranger to God. You are now one of His children, adopted into His family, welcomed into His Home.
- FACT: you are part of the holy dwelling place of God – 2.22
- You are now part of the Body of Christ whose parts make up the temple that God in the Spirit dwells in.
Have you ever taken time to contemplate or to even become aware of the benefits you now possess as a Christian? We know our insurance benefits, our employment benefits or our government benefits. We know the benefits we have because of our national citizenship. If you’re from a wealthy family, you may know the benefits of your inheritance or status.
They all shrivel in comparison to the LEAST of your blessings as a Christian. This is so much more than just another Bible lesson or pleasant encouragement. These are the truths that allow us to overcome this sin-corrupt world, to live in joy through all circumstances and reveal to us the love and glory of our Savior.
Ancient of Days, help to see the vast riches of these truths. As we come to understand them more, we ask You to well up in us the glory that Jesus so richly deserves. In His Name, Amen.
Contemplation: Can you list your job benefits? Can you describe the benefits you have because of your citizenship in your country? Can you name the blessings, benefits and inheritance you have as a Christian? Which of these would you say is most important, secure and lasting?
Application: If you whip through these facts with little more than a “that’s interesting” or “that’s nice” attitude, you need to ask God to illumine this truth in your heart. As Christians, we enjoy an incredible amount of blessing and benefits. We have an unimaginable inheritance awaiting us. It should thrill you, inspire you and motivate you.
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?