John 20:1 Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.
The tomb is open. Jesus has risen from the dead. The stone is rolled away and the tomb is empty. Jesus Christ opened many things the day He opened the tomb and walked out of it.
- He opened His arms to the whole world that whosoever would believe in His atoning death could have everlasting life. He opened up the opportunity for all mankind to choose life over death. Through one man, Adam, death and sin had entered the world. Now through one man, Jesus Christ, hope was open to all.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (NKJV)
- He opened the door for the Gentiles (that’s you and me unless your Jewish) to be part of His family. Previously, only the Jews could claim to be God’s children. Now through His willing sacrifice, Jesus had taken two different kinds of people, and made them one. All would be unified in the kingdom of God. All believers come together without distinction under the Kingship of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 2:14-16 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. (NKJV)
Galatians 3:27-28 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (NKJV)
- He opened the doors of Heaven so that we may approach the throne room of Grace in confidence with Jesus representing us. Having been made righteous by the blood of Christ, the Lord God nows sees us who believe as He sees His Beloved Son. Christ’s righteousness has been accounted to us, and our sin paid for by Him on the cross.
Luke 23:45 Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two. (NKJV)
Hebrews 4: 15-16 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (NKJV)
Rom 4:24-25 It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead, who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification.
- He opened a sea of forgiveness that is available any time your heart is truly repentant. Jesus opened fresh new mercies available each and every day flowing from the river of His compassion.
1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (NKJV)
Lamentations 3:22 Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. (NKJV)
He opened our eyes that we may see the truth; He opened our ears so we can hear His Spirit; He opened our hearts that we may love others; He opened our hands that we may let loose of the world and lift them to Him in worship.
On resurrection day, the tomb opened and Jesus Christ came forth to open the storehouse of heavenly blessings. For in Him and through Him we have our being, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit until that Day. The open tomb and open arms of Jesus remain open until the great and glorious day when He will return to call home those who name the Name of All Names.
There’s one more thing Jesus wants to open. He’s wants you to open the door of your heart and let Him enter as Lord and Master. He has opened the tomb and conquered death. Will you open your heart to Jesus and receive eternal life?
Gracious Father, by Your Son Jesus you have opened eternal life to us. Help us to open our hearts and lives to you that Jesus Christ will be glorified. Amen
Contemplation: Has the Resurrection become just another holiday or Bible topic for you? Have you considered life without the hope of Jesus Christ risen from the dead? Have you considered the meaning of one open tomb 2000 years ago?
Application: Jesus opened the tomb for us. We should open our mouths and lives for Him.
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?