Psalms 86.15 But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth. (NKJV)
Have you ever contemplated how blessed we are that God is who He is?
All other god’s of this world are harsh taskmasters, distant and cold, never satisfied. They require men to earn their favor in slavery to them with no assurance of salvation or relief. They cruelly mock man’s attempts to appease them and enslave the world in a cycle of hopelessness, despair and ultimately death.
Consider the gods of this world:
- Pagan gods
- Religion gods
- Material gods
- The god of self
All of the world’s gods offer only one thing: a complete sacrifice of your entire life spent in pursuit of appeasing them, only to be rewarded with disappointment, failure and death. Are you serving one of these gods? If you do not serve the God of Scripture; the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; the I AM; the Almighty One; the Eternal Creator, Father of Jesus Christ and King of the Universe… then you are serving some god of this world… whether or not you know it, believe it or recognize it.
- If you put your trust in idols, the earth, nature, satan or superstition, you worship pagan gods.
- If you are working your way to heaven through church membership, rituals, good deeds or anything other than Jesus Christ… you are worshipping the god of religion.
- If you are pursuing wealth, power, fame and social status, you worship at the feet of the material god.
- If you are the king of your own life, and believe you answer to no one, then you are a servant to the god of self.
There is only one reward offered by these gods: death.
What death? Death to peace and joy; death to contentment and happiness; and ultimately, eternal death separated from the one true God. Only the Most High God of Heaven offers eternal glory and reward, which you cannot earn; in exchange for simply giving up what you cannot keep.
Do you need to be loved today? Do you need comfort and understanding? God is FULL of compassion. He doesn’t have just a little, nor is He stingy with it, nor is it rationed. He is perpetually full, overflowing and rich in compassion and love for His children.
- Ps 145.8 The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, Slow to anger and great in mercy.
- Lam 3.32 Though He causes grief, Yet He will show compassion, According to the multitude of His mercies.
- Ps 112.4 Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.
The Lord is gracious and patient in ways that we can’t imagine. It is truly amazing what He patiently sees us through: the sin, the failures, the selfishness, the betrayals. Our God is unlike any other god in this world in that He bears our burdens for us. He lovingly and patiently transforms us into His image. How incredibly thankful we should be for a God who gives us what we need to please Him, and then rewards us as if we did it ourselves. We serve a God of new beginnings who is always waiting for us to return to Him. He is gracious, slow to anger, full of great kindness and mercy.
- Neh 9.17 …But You are God, Ready to pardon, Gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, Abundant in kindness, And did not forsake them.
- Ps 103.8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.
- Joel 2.13 So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God, For He is gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, and of great kindness;
Our God is the God of Truth. Truth in its essence implies exclusiveness. In our age of tolerance, we tend to forget that only the God of Christianity has revealed Himself to us miraculously, and authentically. He is Truth. We can rest fully assured of this despite the hate of the world that will persecute us for believing in One Way. We can have the confidence of knowing God has revealed the authentic TRUTH to us instead of living with nagging question “what makes my way any more right than someone else’s?” The answer: nothing. We don’t follow our way, or a religion, or personal set of beleifs.
We put our faith and trust in the miraculously inspired, divinely authenticated, life changing Word of God and in the God who reveals Himself through It.
- John 14.6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- Ps 86.11 Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name.
- John 2.24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- Ps 31.5 …You have redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.
Be thankful for who our God is. Be thankful that He is not like the gods of this world. Be thankful that He Is Who He Is and that because of who He is, we are of all peoples of this earth most blessed.
Numbers 6.24-26 “The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.”
Most gracious and loving God, we are thankful for who You are. There is no other God like You and it is truly a wonder that You would love us. Increase our understanding of You today and accept our offer of thanks for Your gracious mercy and loving kindness. Amen.
Contemplation: Is this age of “pick a religion” have you meditated on what makes the God of the Bible different from all others? Are you able to adequately tell others when they ask “what makes your God any different from other religions?”
Application: Religion and spirituality is becoming popular again. Pick a “faith” and stick to it is presented as being adequate for salvation. “God” is used my most religions and it successfully blurs the line between the One True God and the “God” of other world religions. Know God. Appreciate and meditate on all that sets Him apart.
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?