Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (NKJV)
We continue our Sword Training today looking at what the Bible has to say about itself. To start with, let’s look at some Biblical claims that leave no room for a “neutral” opinion that the Word of God is a “good” book, but not inspired or authoritative. Upon reading the Bible, a person is left with a CLEAR decision:
Either the Bible IS the supernaturally, miraculously inspired Word of God;
Or it is a book full of lies, inaccuracies, false claims and nonsense.
One of those conclusions must be true. It is intellectually, academically and logically ludicrous to accept it is as a “nice” book full of good “moral” teaching, but reject it as the ONLY TRUTH revealed to man by a Living God who demands a response from us. The Bible claims:
- To be the inspired Word of the Creator of the Universe, nothing less (2Tim 3.16-17)
- To be the ONLY source of truth to mankind (Psa 86.11; 119.142,151,160; John 14.6; Matt 5.18;24.35
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (NKJV)
- To contain ALL things needed to live a pleasing and acceptable life according to its Author (2Pet 1.3; John 6.63; 6.68; Rom 8.11; Heb 11.6; Col 1.9-10)
- To have the true historical account of the creation of man and the universe (Gen 1; Rom 1.20; Col 1.6; Rev 10.6)
- To reveal the final outcome of our existence; the events that will occur, and the ultimate choice of destination: a literal hell or heaven for all eternity (1John; Titus 1.2; Rom 2.5-9; Mark 9.43-48; Rev 21.1; 2 Pet 3.13; 1Thess 4.13-18)
Readers, let’s discard this nonsense about the Bible being a “good book”… but NOT the supernaturally inspired Word of God. If Biblical claims are not true, then the Bible is deceptive, absurd nonsense and should be REJECTED in total.
What other book would you call “good” if you believed it was inaccurate, untrustworthy and full of claims that were obviously false? Calling the Bible “good” while rejecting its clear teaching about man’s responsibility to God, is nothing more than an attempt to soothe our conscience; or it may be a belief held in ignorance.
Reject the Bible as false and full of lies; or accept what it says as the Truth.
God, nor the Bible, gives us the luxury of believing some portions of it, while ignoring others. It is logically absurd, intellectually dishonest, and emotionally cowardly to accept its “good moral principles” but deny its commands for obedience and repentance.
Now, for those who accept the entire Bible, lets take a look at a few more things it has to say about itself.
- The Bible has the power to effect man’s spirit where human psychology can only attempt to have influence down to the level of the mind (Heb 4.12)
- The Word of God gives us the power to defend against attacks of temptation and sin (Matt 4; Eph 6)
- Psalm 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. (NKJV)
- The Bible will enrich our lives and transform us more and more into holy people (1Tim 4.15-16; Phil 4.8; 1Pet 2.9)
- The Bible is the ONLY source of assurance of salvation (1John; Acts 4.12; Psa 3.8; Rom 1.6)
- 1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. (NKJV)
- The Bible is our comfort, guide, teacher; our standard by which all things are tested and measured (2Tim 3.16; 2Thess 2.16-17; 1Thess 4.18; Rom 15.5)
- The Bible is our protection from the false ideas, deceptions and religions of man (1John 2:26; 2Peter; 1John 4.1)
- The Bible, when read, will impart blessing to the reader and can only be understood by those whom God indwells spiritually (Rev 1.3; 22.7; Luke 11.28; ICor 1.21,25; 3.19; Eph 5.8)
The words of the Holy Bible are the very words of God. In His mercy He has given us His revealed plan for our lives. The more we know about it, the more pleasing our lives will be and the greater victory we will have over sin.
Heavenly Author, Help us to see the necessity of accepting or rejecting the Bible in its entirety. We ask for Your wisdom, understanding and discernment as we sincerely seek the Truth. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Contemplation: Do you partially accept the Bible, while rejecting some of it? Have you ever considered how illogical that is? If you accept the Bible as God’s Word, are there ANY parts of it you question?
Application: It is vital to thoroughly contemplate this issue of accepting ALL the Bible, or none of the Bible. If the Bible contains lies, errors and false claims, why believe ANY of it?