Preached at Straightway Bible Church on Sept 29, 2013. Below you will find the study notes I handed out. James gives us 13 tests of authentic faith and 20 resolutions to help us live the Christian life.
(Click here to see the entire series of “The Book of James – Practical Faith”)
Here are the study notes:
James – Thirteen Tests & Twenty Resolutions
Brent Riggs – www.seriousfaith.com
Thirteen Tests of Living Faith
1. The test of perseverance and suffering James 1:2-12
2. The test of blame and temptation James 1:13-18
3. The test of doing what you hear James 1:19-27
4. The test of not showing favoritism James 2:1-13
5. The test of living faith with good works James 2:14-26
6. The test of controlling your tongue James 3:1-12
7. The test of godly wisdom and humility James 3:13-18
8. The test of worldly indulgence James 4:1-12
9. The test of submitting to God’s sovereignty James 4:13 – 17
10. The test of patient endurance James 5:1-11
11. The test of truthfulness and integrity James 5:12
12. The test of effective prayer James 5:13-18
13. The test of persevering in the true faith James 5:19-20
Simple outline a summary of James:
Practicing a lifestyle of faith 1:1–2:13
- Our attitude toward trials
- Our expectation of God’s aid
- Our awareness of our identity
- Our acceptance of responsibility
- Our responses to others
- Our standards of behavior
- Our welcome to others
- Our calling of love
Living the principles of faith 2:14–25
- Good works is the product of living faith
- Taming your tongue 3:1–12
- Judging rightly 4:11–12
- Never being presumptuous 4:13–17
Prospects & Promises for Faith 5:1–19
- Future redress 5:1–6
- Present resources 5:7–19
Twenty Practical Resolutions
1. Resolve to ask God for wisdom & do not doubt (James 1:5-6).
2. Resolve to understand the situation whether lowly or high (James 1:9-10).
3. Resolve to not be deceived about the nature and origin of sin (James 1:15-16).
4. Resolve to be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger (James 1:19).
5. Resolve to deal with others in a godly and impartial way (James 2:1-4).
6. Resolve to live righteously and judge mercifully (James 2:12-13).
7. Resolve to let your life be proof of what you believe (James 2:16).
8. Resolve to control your tongue which is the most readily available tool you have to either sin or bless (James 3:2).
9. Resolve to show your Godly wisdom by your good conduct and meekness (James 5:13)
10. Resolve to avoid quarrels and conflicts and selfish praying (James 4:2-3).
11. Resolve to never speak evil or believe evil spoken of another (James 4:11).
12. Resolve to never act as if God doesn’t exist or His will doesn’t matter (James 4:13).
13. Resolve to never grumble about a Brother but only be compassionate and merciful (James 5:9).
14. Resolve to speak and act with unquestionable integrity (James 5:12).
15. Resolve to pray when you suffer; when you are cheerful, sing. (James 5:13).
16. Resolve to be a source of prayerful strength to those who are discouraged and beat down (James 5:14).
17. Resolve to freely confess sins and seek forgiveness (James 5:16).
18. Resolve to not think you have to be a super Christian (James 5:17).
19. Resolve to lovingly and humbly work to restore a fallen brother (James 5:19-20).
20. Resolve to BE DOERS, NOT JUST HEARERS WHICH IS DECEIVING YOURSELF