Preached at Straightway Bible Church on March 30, 2014.
Jesus Is Superior – Part Two
Brent Riggs – www.seriousfaith.com Hebrews 1:1–3 Jesus is Superior The first paragraph is a poetic/hymn-like presentation of Jesus
Hebrews gives 7 Reasons that “Jesus is Superior”
1. He is the Heir of all things!
- Since Christ is the Son and even more particularly the only Son, of God He is also the heir, the sole Heir of all things.
2. He is the Creator of all things!
- Hebrews says “he made the worlds”… the word translated world here is not the normal Greek word (kosmos) but rather (aionos) which means “the ages.”
- Jesus made everything for all time, including time itself
- Jesus created our very existence, our reality, our concept of “life”
3. He is the Keeper of the Universe
- In fact, even today scientists have no idea what “mysterious force” holds the ATOM together because given it’s structure and our understanding of it, the atom should completely fly apart… but some unknown “nuclear force” is holding every atom together
4. He is the Radiance, the Light, the Brilliance of God’s glory
- To see Jesus is to see God, as a mirror reflects the light of the full sun. The Hebrew term “glory” (kabod; “the name Ichabod, ie. which means “Where is the glory?”) was often used in the sense of brightness
5. He Is the Exact Representation of His Father
- Jesus exegeted or explained, reveal, spoke truth about God.
- Later when the disciple Philip asked Jesus to show him the Father he replied, “He who has seen me has seen the father …” (John 14:9)
6. He is the Kinsman Redeemer of Humanity 7. He Is Ruler of the Universe “…sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.”
- Few other statements in the Bible are filled with greater importance.
- The work was now done and never needed to be repeated. “He sat down” – that is the significance of His triumphant words from the Cross when he shouted (telestai) “It is finished” (John 19:30).
- “He sat down” – his position is fixed and final.
- None of the angels held such a position of honor in heaven.
- Seated in honor, Jesus remains superior.
7. Jesus also sat down at God’s side to intercede for us. Romans 8:34, “He is seated at the right hand of the Father making it a session for us.”
- We have God’s portrait of Jesus Christ. You’ve seen the preeminent Christ in all His offices.
- We see Him as prophet, the final spokesman for God.
- We see Him as priest, atoning, and interceding.
- We see Him as King, controlling, sustaining and seated on the throne.
This is our Lord Jesus Christ.