Preached at Straightway Bible Church on March 16, 2014.
Introduction to Hebrews – Part 2
Brent Riggs – www.seriousfaith.com
Hebrews 6:1 (NKJV) Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God…
- A five minute study of Hebrews…
The Superiority of Jesus Christ’s Position
- A Better Name Hebrews 1:3
- Better Than the Angels Hebrews 1:4
- A greater messenger Hebrews 1:13
- A greater salvation Hebrews 2:3
- A greater message Hebrews 2:10
- A greater savior Hebrews 2:14
- Better Than Moses Hebrews 3:3
- A Better Rest Hebrews 4:9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.
The Superiority of Jesus Christ’s Priesthood
- Christ as High-Priest Hebrews 5:9
- Exhortation to Full Maturity and Commitment to Christ Hebrews 6:1
- Christ’s Priesthood like Melchizedek’s Heb 7:16
The Superiority of Christ’s Priestly Ministry
- Through a Better Covenant Hebrews 7:22-24
- In a Better Sanctuary Hebrews 9:11
- By a Better Sacrifice Hebrews 9:27–28
The Superiority of the Believer’s Privileges
- Saving Faith Hebrews 10:22
- Genuine Faith Hebrews 11:1
- Persevering Faith Hebrews 12:2
The Superiority of Christian Behavior
- In Relation to Others Hebrews 13:1
- In Relation to Ourselves Hebrews 13:5
- In Relation to God Hebrews 13:15
- In the first two chapters, the Son is shown to be superior to the angels by virtue of His deity, His humanity, and the salvation He provided.
- The Son’s position is unique—Psalm 2:7.
- The Son is head of the Davidic Covenant—2 Samuel 7:14.
- Angels worship the Son—Psalm 97:7.
- Angels serve the Son—Psalm 104:4.
- The Son is to rule the Kingdom—Psalm 45:7-8.
- The Son is the Creator—Psalm 102:25-27.
- The Son is enthroned at the right hand of God—Psalm 110:1.
- The Son’s superiority because of His humanity was the second line of argument in this book.
- Through sin, man lost this sovereignty to Satan and his angels. But the Messiah has regained dominion for man.
- Man will be associated with Him in rule.
- The Messiah became a man to reclaim dominion of the earth, which was originally committed to man. That was the end run on Satan’s presumed victory in Eden.
- The Son is also superior in the salvation He offers.
- Because He manifested divine grace. Here the writer cites Psalm 22 and Isaiah 8.
- The Son was to overcome the Prince of Death to free the believer from the fear of death and to help man.
- Jesus is also superior to Moses in His person, His work, and His position. Here the writer inserts one of the warnings: the warning against disobedience.
- Jesus is greater than the Aaronic priesthood.
- Because he’s in a better position;
- He’s heavenly rather than earthly.
- He is a better priest because He, too, is divinely appointed.
- He urges them to progress from the milk of the word to the meat of the word.
- Melchizedek was a priest-king (Genesis 14).
- Melchizedek received tithes from Abraham
- If Abraham, the father of the Jews, was offering tithes to Melchizedek, Melchizedek was a priest of a higher level than Levi or Aaron or Moses because Abraham was the father of them all.
- And the body of Christ—believers—will be kings and priests.
- The writer argued that the Levitical priesthood was temporary, and it was weak because, although it doled out penalties for disobedience, it could not impart the strength to keep its commands.