(James 3:13) – Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. (NKJV)
Ask 100 people today: how do you know who is wise and full of understanding? You’ll probably get these types of answers:
- Highly educated people with lots of letters after their names
- People who have books, radio shows or popular websites
- Those who belong to a currently popular trend group that are considered the “in” thing right now
- People who talk alot about all sorts of philosophical, all-inclusive ethereal concepts with lots of twelve dollar feel good words
- People with money
- Those who pop culture elevates like Dr. Laura or Oprah
You’d probably hear about a 100 different answers, but none of them would be “the person who shows a good life full of humble deeds.” Nope, that will not be in the top 100 of a sidewalk survey.
However, if you TRULY believe in God, you have to accept His unequivocably and maddeningly simple answer to who is wise and full of understanding. It is demonstrated by a good life, and good works done humbly.
Wow. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Why does a good life show wisdom and understanding? Because the person who lives a truly good life is one who has an authentic grasp on the source of true wisdom: God. From that grasp, they live out the life that God prescribes, a life of humble service to others, good deeds done selflessly. This type of life shows an understanding of what is eternally important, and the wisdom to know how to apply it to a real life.
Do you consider yourself wise? Do you think you have understanding? Is it demonstrated by a “good life”? Is your life full of humble, selfless good works? If not… you figure out what that means.
Tomorrow, we’ll look at verse 14 and 15 to find out some more about true wisdom.
Lord God, help us to show our wisdom and understanding by living a good life, full of humble good works. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?