that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.(NKJV)
So far we’ve learned that the Name of Jesus Christ is:
The Rarest and Most Exclusive – there is salvation through Jesus and NO other (Acts 4.12); every person will admit this fact some day, the only question is when (Phil 2.10)
The Most Understanding & Compassionate – Jesus is the true Shepherd and He protects and cares for His sheep (Isa 40.11); Jesus is uniquely qualified to understand and respond to our deepest needs and hurts because He is both absolutely Divine, and absolutely human (Heb 4.15-16)
The Most Meaningful and Purposeful – the name of Jesus is filled with infinite meaning and purpose; why He lived; why He died; why He taught; why He loves us; what He accomplished… it is an inexhaustible well of study and discovery.
The Most Rewarding Name I Know
James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (NKJV)
If you have confessed the Sweetest Name there is great reward awaiting you. Consider how rewarding it will be the moment you meet Jesus and…
- Realize the satisfaction of knowing Jesus is true and faithful, and that all the time spent in this life seeking Him was worth every second.
- You are instantly free of the curse of sin for all eternity.
- Realize that ever increasing joy and wonder for all eternity has begun.
- You instinctively understand that you are finally “home”… your real home.
- Your struggling, striving, suffering and disappointments have eternally ceased.
I love to sit and dream about what that single moment will be like… the moment that I see Jesus face to face and He welcomes me into eternity. That moment captivates my thoughts and imagination. It is such a wonderful thought, that even now, in this life, before it actually happens, it already brings me great joy. Let’s look at some other rewards:
- Being in the presence of Christ, enjoying His love and goodness in person which is far better than anything this life can offer.
Philippians 1:23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. (NKJV)
- Reigning with Christ in glory forever and ever where there is no sun nor night; for the glory of God is the light.
Revelation 22:5 There shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever. (NKJV)
- Receiving a crown of life and glory; incorruptible and eternal; worthy only to be given back to our Lord in gratitude for what He has done for us (1Pet 5.4; Jas 1.12; 1Cor 9.25; Rev 4.10)
- Being a joint heir with Christ, receiving full blessings and privileges as a member of God’s very own eternal family.
Romans 8:17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. (NKJV)
- Living in our new home, personally designed and built by the Lord Himself.
John 14:1-4 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.” (NKJV)
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. (NKJV)
- Living in joy, satisfaction and peace with Jesus for all eternity.
Matthew 25:21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ (NKJV)
Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (NKJV)
The reward we have waiting for us is great (Matt 5.12; Heb 10.35); it is full and complete (2John 1.8); it is sure (Prov 11.18); it is satisfying (Psa 17.15); it is priceless (1Cor 2.9). Our reward brings us hope and courage in this life because nothing we experience, endure or suffer in this life will compare with the reward our Lord has for us.
2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, (NKJV)
The name of Jesus represents the greatest reward in all eternity.
Lord, thank you for allowing us to experience “reward” just by getting to know him and being apart of his life. But infinitely more, we thank you for Jesus, who is the Rewarder of His good and faithful servants. In the Sweetest Name, Amen.
Contemplation: In the privacy of your own thoughts, what is your concept of reward? Where is it found? In this life, or the next? Have you ever considered the difference? When you think of Jesus, what rewards come to mind for you?
Application: Real reward is eternal reward. The less we are tied to, enamored with and constantly pursuing the “rewards” of this world, the freer our minds will be to meditate on the sweetest Name; who is, even now, preparing the reward for all those who “finish well”.
James 1:22 – But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. (NKJV)
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today? What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?