Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. (NKJV)
Fundamental purity is in essence, God. God is the definition of purity. God is what all things are compared to in order to measure purity.
Applied purity occurs the moment we are saved. God imputes (adds; places; applies) the righteousness (purity) of Christ to us supernaturally. From that point on, He quite literally sees us a pure, worthy of salvation, worthy of coming into His presence.
Practical purity is the process of what the Bible calls “sanctification”. It is the daily process of the Christian becoming more and more like Christ, who of course is Purity (God). It is the daily increase in our life of righteousness, Godliness and holiness… becoming more pure.
If we are truly saved, then increasing purity (righteousness) will be evident in our lives. Living pure lives is the purposeful effort to live in obedience to God; conviction and repentance as we fall short of purity; and trust in God to empower us to live righteously.
It is not within the scope of one devotional to discuss all the WAYS to become more pure in our daily life; that is a series of lessons in and of itself. It is the intent of this little mini-series on “purity” to help the reader understand what purity is in its various forms.
So I will leave you with some Scripture to meditate on about purity. Tomorrow we will finish up with a quick look at three other forms of purity.
- Proverbs 22:11 He who loves purity of heart And has grace on his lips, The king will be his friend. (NKJV)
- 1 Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. (NKJV)
- 1 John 3:1-3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (NKJV)
Man started out pure when God created us. We ruined it with willful sin. The whole of Scripture is God’s plan to return us to that state of purity and to bring glory to Him through it.
Our God, May we strive each day to become more pure like Your Son; and have a hunger to learn what makes us pure as found in Your Word. In Jesus Pure Name, Amen.
Contemplation: Is your life marked with an obvious increase in righteous and holy purity?
Application: God is the source and power to become pure. Pray and ask God for His wisdom and strength.
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?