John 6:68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (NKJV)
Jesus had just asked the disciples if they wanted to quit following Him like many others recently had. They replied, “where are we going to go? You have the only thing that matters.” Jesus had the words of eternal life.
Wow, think about that. The Words of Eternal Life. Do you really believe that the Lord has the words of eternal life? If yes, then where are you going with your life? Who else, or what else are you turning to?
If Jesus Christ has the words of eternal life, where else will you go for eternal meaning and purpose?
- To work? You will find no answers to life there – Ecc 2.18-23
- Money? Only rust, thieves and disappointment will be found – Matt 6.19;Ecc 5.13-15
- Illicit pleasure? Self-indulgence? There you will find only death and condemnation – Rev. 21.8
- Man’s religion? A waste of time – Col 2.23
Lord, You have the words of Eternal Life. Who else can we turn to?
It is a rhetorical question with an obvious answer: “No one! We aren’t going anywhere!” They had found a priceless treasure. They realized that Jesus had the answer to man’s most pressing need: to know what comes after this short life.
Lord, to whom shall we go?
- There is no other way to be saved except through You (John 14.6). Shall we seek salvation in another?
- You have the only bread that will satisfy our hunger (John 6.35). Should we eat from another table?
- You have the only living water that quenches spiritual thirst (John 4.14). Shall we drink that which does not satisfy?
- You alone can empathize with our struggles (Heb 4.15). Would you have us to look for comfort elsewhere?
- You will reign forever and ever and ever (Rev 22). Should we turn and serve another?
Who else will you turn to? Who else is King of Kings, Prince of Peace, Savior, Master, Lord, Creator, Prophet and Priest? Jesus Christ alone has the words of eternal life.
What person, pursuit, possession or passion can replace Jesus Christ and His Eternal Word?
Father in Heaven, who else can we turn to but Jesus? Give us the wisdom to agree with Your disciples who realized that Jesus spoke the words of eternal life. Convict us of the foolishness of turning away from Your Son for any reason. In His Name, Amen.
Contemplation: Where do you go when you wander away from Jesus? Money? Pleasure, work? Whatever you have turned to, can it speak the words of eternal life to you?
Application: Pray that God will give you a deep understanding of this verse. If you understand who Jesus is, what He offers and what He demands, where else could you possibly go but into His arms?
- What is the most obvious Bible truth you have learned today?
- What change in your life needs to be made concerning this truth?
- What specific thing will you do today to begin that change?