Matthew 6:25 ~“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?(NKJV; emphasis mine)
Is Jesus a liar? We certainly act like He is.
What does He command? Do not worry unless you are about to lose your job. Do not worry unless the dollar is tanking and your retirement is being ate up. Do not worry unless there are people in power ruining the country. Do not worry unless you have severe enough health problems.
Nope… just DO NOT WORRY.
Well maybe Jesus was being conditional and saying do not worry about your salvation… and do not worry about stuff that ain’t your bee’s wax. Or do not worry if things are going as well as you had hoped.
Nope… just DO NOT WORRY. Let’s see if there are any loopholes:
- Do not worry about what you will eat: food, sustenance.
- Do no worry about what you will drink: water, the highest necessity for life next to breathing.
- Do not work about your body: health, imprisonment, clothing, freedom, sickness, dying.
And just in case we missed anything: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR LIFE. Give me a minute to come up with something not included in “life”… … … … … … … nada.
DO NOT WORRY: all inclusive.
So, let me ask you this friend: if the Lord Jesus were standing in front of you today and put in His beloved finger in your face and said “I’M TELLING YOU, ***DO*** ***NOT*** ***WORRY***”, what would your reaction be?
- “Yeah, but….” Yeah, but what? Who you talkin’ to?
- “You don’t know what I’m going through…” Want to switch places and go through what Jesus went through?
- “You don’t understand…” Really? The Omniscient, Omnipresent, Eternal Son of God doesn’t understand?
DO NOT WORRY.
Jesus knew what He was commanding. DO NOT WORRY. To do otherwise is to disobey Jesus Christ. His command, not mine. Take it up with Him.
What are you worrying about today? Why are you worrying? Is Jesus a liar? Dumb? A Deceiver? Was He commanding everyone but you? If you are finding it hard to stop worrying, why don’t you get on your knees and ask Jesus to help you obey. “Help me in my lack of faith and trust…”
He will. He promised that too. I’ll let YOU find those verses. It will take your mind off the worry.