Preached at Straightway Bible Church on October 6, 2013. A straight talking message about what the Bible says about Hell… and it says a lot!
Hell – The Bible Speaks
Brent Riggs – www.seriousfaith.com
- The Bible doesn’t present a Gospel that is Sales 101: (features & benefits; downplay the cost).
- The Gospel of Scripture is Truth 101: (the reality of Hell; the solution is Jesus Christ)
- More false converts exist because of the “Jesus will improve your life” Gospel, than will ever exist by “scaring” someone about Hell.
- We aren’t responsible for the results of the Message… God is! Our responsibility is to deliver the Message – the whole Message as God says it.
- Hell is a place of eternal fire and torment. Matthew 3:12; Matthew 13:42; Mark 9:43-44
- You will always remember what you lost and regret your decision to reject Christ. Luke 16:19-31
- You will be thirsty, but never get a drink. Luke 16:24
- You will be in agony, pain, and constant misery. Revelation 14:10-11
- You will be bitter, angry, frustrated, and desperate for all eternity. Matthew 13:41-42, Matthew 24:51
- You will experience the full fury and wrath of God. Revelation 14:10
- You will never, ever, ever, get a break or be allowed to escape. Matthew 25:46, Jude 7
- EVERLASTING – lasting or enduring through all time : continuing long or indefinitely : tediously persistent :wearing indefinitely
- ETERNAL – having infinite duration : continued without intermission : seemingly endless : existing at all times : timeless
- MYTH: Hell is temporary. Matthew 25:46,
2 Thessalonians 1:8-9
- MYTH: Hell is just annihilation. Luke 16:22-23
- MYTH: Hell is a bunch of “bad” people having a party that God sort of frowns on.
- MYTH: Hell is the demon hangout or playground.
- MYTH: Hell is simply a description of evil.
- MYTH: Satan is the ruler of Hell.
- Satan is not King of Hell. God rules Hell. Hell is a prison for Satan, not a “kingdom” He will have free reign in. Matthew 25:41
- MYTH: A loving God would never send His creation to eternal punishment.
Why is Hell a critical part of the Gospel message?
- Millions are people are headed there.
- Because Jesus and the Apostles considered it important. The talked about it a LOT: Matt. 11:23;16:18; Luke 10:15;16:23; Acts 2:27, 31; Rev. 1:18;6:8;20:13, 14; Matt. 5:22, 29, 30;10:28;18:9;23:15, 33; Mark 9:43, 45, 47; Luke 12:5;Jas. 3:6; 2 Pet. 2:4; Matt. 3:12; Matt. 5:29 v. 30; Matt. 7:13 v. 14.; Matt. 8:11, 12; Matt. 10:28; Matt. 13:30, 38–42, 49, 50; Matt. 16:18; Matt. 18:8, 9, 34, 35;Matt. 22:13; Matt. 25:28–30, 41, 46; Mark 9:43, 44 vs. 45–48.; Matt. 5:29. Luke 3:17 Matt. 3:12. Luke 16:23, 24, 26 vs. 25,28; Acts 1:25. 2 Thess. 1:9; 2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6, 23; Rev. 9:1, 2 Rev. 11:7. Rev. 14:10, 11; Rev. 19:20; Rev. 20:10, 15; Rev. 21:8 Rev. 2:11.
- Hell is an important part of the Gospel because it inserts an element of urgency that is otherwise missing.
- The time to obey Christ is NOW because you are not guaranteed one single second of life. There are a thousand ways to die at any given moment.
- Hell is an important part of the Gospel because of the finality and eternality of the decision.
- People need to be very, very clear what their rejection of Christ really means.
- Hell is an important part of the Gospel because it helps the hearer to understand the full nature of God.
- And FINALLY… Hell is an important part of the Gospel because it gives us reason to persevere when times get tough…
- Accepting the Gospel only because you think Jesus will improve your life causes people to dump the Gospel when suffering and persecution comes
- Accepting the Gospel for the REAL reasons (you’re a sinners, God loves you, Heaven awaits those who repent, Hell awaits those who do not) makes circumstances in your life irrelevant to your salvation
- When times get tough, the reality of Hell helps you not throw away the Gospel simply because you thought it was a “lifestyle improvement” choice.