Hebrews 4:12-13 God’s Word Is Sharper
Hebrews 4:12–13 (NKJV) 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
For the Word of God is:
- quick—Greek, “living”; having living power, as “the rod of the mouth and the breath of the lips” of “the living God.”
- powerful—Greek, “energetic”; energetically efficacious.
- sharper—“more cutting.”
- two-edged—sharpened at both edge and back.
- piercing—Greek, “coming through.”
- discerner of the thoughts, “capable of judging the purposes.”
- opened—literally, as a victim with neck exposed for sacrifice.
- 3 out of 4 Americans cannot quote John 3:16.
- 4 out of 5 Americans cannot define the Gospel.
- 2 out of 3 Americans never read their Bible regularly.
- 2 out of 3 Americans don’t believe in a literal Hell.
- More than half cannot name half of the 10 Commandments.
- Half of Americans cannot name one of the four Gospels.
- Only 1 out of 10 Americans can tell you what the Great Commission is (“go into all the world…)
- Half of Americans believe that Jesus sinned.
It is A Living Word
words zōn and energēs are the description of the “the living God” in Heb 3:12
It is an Powerful Word
“powerful” (energes) is the word from which we get energy and energetic. The word literally means “at work.”
It is a Penetrating Word
While the Word of God is comforting and nourishing to those who believe, it is a tool of judgment and execution for those who have not committed themselves to Jesus Christ.
What the author is saying is that God’s Word can reach into the innermost recesses of our being!
It is a Discerning Word
Nothing is hidden from God’s scrutiny. One day we will be forced to meet his gaze. Our actions and attitudes will be laid bare.
From this passage we see three truths:
ONE: God Sees Everything There Is No Escape.
TWO: God Sees Everything There Is No Hiding.
THREE: God Sees Everything There Is No Excuse.
- First, we must ask ourselves if we are being challenged by the word of God to take some action immediately, without delay.
- Secondly, we should always think through the application of what we hear preached or read.
- We should pay enough attention to what the Word of God may be saying to us to write it down and think it over.
- Asking the question, “What does God want me to change in my life concerning this truth?”