Note: the “parts” to this message are not based on logical breaks in the notes below. The message is broken up into sections (parts) based on the amount of time I had to teach for each segment. So it one part may end and another start at an odd place in the outline.
Salvation Assurance Summary
73 verses (and this is not even close to all of them) that declare the assurance of salvation versus a handful of verses that IMPLY you might lose your salvation versus NO Scripture that plainly says “be careful, you can lose your salvation and here’s how”:
Because of the terms used to describe salvation.
• “eternal life” , • “full assurance” , “strong consolation”
• “hope … sure and steadfast”
Because of what we are.
• Forgiven ; Justified: Paid in full, account satisfied
• Reconciled: God is no longer AT WAR with us our enemy
• Risen with Christ ; We have a new eternal spirit…
• A child of God forever ; Sanctified in Christ
• Made holy in Christ ; New creation ; Accepted in the beloved
• Saved ; Made fit for Heaven ; Complete in Him
• Citizens of Heaven ; Children of light ; Elect
• Born again ; Sanctified once for all
• Perfected forever ; Passed from death unto life
Because of where we are.
• In God’s family ; Brought near ; Translated into the kingdom of His dear Son ; In the heavenlies with Christ
• Eternal life; Peace with God; An Intercessor; Advocate with the Father; All spiritual blessings; Forgiveness of sins; been sealed and guaranteed by the Holy Spirit; Access to God; Everlasting consolation; Eternal redemption ; Mercy; no more Condemnation
Because of what God promises about salvation.
• Never perish , Shall never die , The glory of God
• Shall be saved from wrath , Glorious liberty
• Redemption of the body
• Predestinated to be conformed to the image of Christ
• Cannot be separated from God’s love
• God shall confirm you unto the end
• Shall appear with Christ in glory
• Delivered from the wrath to come
• Not appointed to wrath but to salvation
• Eternal inheritance
Clear declaration of eternal security and assurance of salvation from over 70 verses and that’s just a sample.
John 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
- No one (and YOU are part of NO one)… NO ONE
2Cor 1:22 who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
- Sealed, guaranteed, a down payment on salvation
- Can you unseal what God has done? Can you make null his guarantee once applied?
Hebrews 10:14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.
- Perfected for ALL time; single offering (once)
- Who? The truly saved (sanctified)
Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
- Do you ask or think “God save me”? He will do far more abundantly than we can imagine because of OUR works or effort? No, by His Power at work within us
James 1:4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
- We must persevere? No, perseverance must finish ITS WORK, not “you must persevere by your own works”
- Phil 1:6 being confident of this, he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus
Rev 3:21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. Matthew 24:13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
- Who is an overcomer? Who is the one who endures? Who keeps the commandments? Who loves God?
- 1 John 5:4, 5 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
- Our faith (trust in Jesus) assures our perseverance, endurance, obedience and love because of what Jesus did (faith in him). Faith in Jesus saves us and keeps us saved
- It’s NOTHING we can do of ourselves (keep ourselves saved, obedient or endure) because then we can BOAST: >>>>
Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not by works, so that no one can boast.
- “I kept myself saved by not walking away from my faith or committing a sin that cost me my salvation”.
- How is this “not of works lest I should boast?” Don’t I get to boast that I didn’t lose my salvation because I was a good person and didn’t do anything to lose it?
- If you can lose your salvation and YOU are doing [whatever it takes] to keep yourself saved, you have reason to boast.
Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more,
- How much sin can be MORE than grace can cover?
- Grace abounds MUCH more than the totality of sin
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
What about those who appear to fall away, walk away, turn away?
A true believer will lose reward because of sin but not salvation:
- 1Cor 3:15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
A person who appears to “fall away” or “walk away” or renounce their faith was clearly never saved:
- When someone walks away it proves they were not saved because God doesn’t start things He does not finish:
1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.
- There will be many people who appear to be saved, act like they are saved, even think they are saved but are not:
Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
- Tares have every appearance of being genuine but are not:
Matthew 13:24-30 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”
If you can lose your salvation:
- How? Which sins? How many?
- Examine your life since being saved: how many lies? How much lust? How many blasphemies? How many idols (money, entertainment, leisure)? Have you hated? Have you had unforgiveness? Have you coveted?
- All of us have committed countless sins since being saved… if you can lose your salvation, how you can reasonably not believe you already have lost it… and you will again?
- Maybe you say “I’ve kept myself saved because I’ve asked for forgiveness for every sin I’ve committed!” In what universe is that not salvation by your own merit, works and effort?
1John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.
- Everyone who believes on Him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- The one who believes in the Son has eternal life (John 3:36)
- Anyone who hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life. (John 5:24)
- I assure you: Anyone who believes has eternal life. (John 6:47)
- I gave them eternal life, and they will never perish. (John 10:28)
- And this is the promise that He Himself made to us: eternal life. (1 John 2:25)
- And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. (1 John 5:11)
- John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
If Jesus loved us and died for us when we were His enemy, how much more does He love us and will see us through to the end when we are now part of His family:
- Romans 5:8 But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
To be continued next week…