Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
A Joy Filled Life in Troubled Times
There is no reason and absolutely no excuse for any Christian not to have a joy filled life no matter what circumstances they find themselves in: a joy filled life is available to all Christians regardless of troubled times.
- Philippians 2:1-3 – A key to having joy in troubled times is unity through humility.
- Philippians 2:9-11 – A key to having joy in troubled times is humbling yourself like Christ for the sake of others.
- Philippians 2:12–16 – A key to having joy in troubled times is pouring yourself out for others so that you may be a light in a dark world.
- A key to having joy in troubled times is to consider the example of other godly persons.
– – – – – –
Christians have a hard time finding joy in troubled times is because they get wrapped up in the “things” of this world. Philippians 3:7–11
Philippians 3:12–16 (NKJV; emphasis mine) 12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. 16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.
Through genuine faith in Christ, discarding our prideful religious efforts, we come to know the Lord and the power found in salvation as we join Him in taking up our cross and being conformed to the example Christ gave us through His own life.
A key to having joy in troubled times is putting the past behind and pressing on toward the ultimate prize.
- True unity in Christianity is all believers having this mindset, keeping our eyes ahead on Christ and having a single focus in life.
- A three legged stool of our faith: TRUTH – LOVE – UNITY
Philippians 3:17–21 A key to having joy in troubled times is having a spiritual mind and not an earthly mind.
- The work of salvation is about what is DONE, not what you can DO.
- Paul counted all his zealous religious achievements as useless garbage compared to genuine faith in Christ found not in man’s righteousness (by keeping some sort of law or checklist), but found only via faith.
A key to having joy in troubled times is faith in Christ not faith in our religious works.
Philippians 3:20 – A key to having joy in troubled times is reminding ourselves of our future destination.
- One of the ways we avoid getting wrapped up in the things of this world is to continually remind ourselves of our future.
Chapter 3 that helps us attain a joy filled life even in troubled times:
- We count everything as loss compared to the blessing of salvation
- which is obtained only by faith in Jesus Christ
that we may know the power of the resurrection and through suffering for the gospel
- be conformed into the image of Christ forgetting what is in the past
- and continually pressing on to the prize
which is an eternity in heaven and a glorified and incorruptible body.
If we really believe that, and choose to focus on it, how can we even have one moment that does not result in joy once we get our mind firmly fixed on that truth?