In the Beginnining
The Creation of the World
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Genesis: Origins, Beginnings
In the Beginning (time),
the Heavens (space)
and the Earth (matter).
A loving, eternal, all powerful, personal God
created us in His image for a purpose
Nothing X Nobody = EVERYTHING
Genesis: the Book of Beginnings/Origins
- God created: the Bible simply and straightforwardly declares the world did not create itself or come about by chance.
If you believe Genesis 1:1, you really have no problem believing the rest of the Bible. The God big enough to have created the heavens and the earth is big enough to do all the rest the Bible says that He did and does. If you DOUBT Genesis 1, you have every reason to doubt the rest of the Bible
God did all this in the beginning, yet there was much before the beginning.
- “O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was…for You loved Me before the foundation of the world” (John 17:5, 17:24).
- Ephesians 3:11 (NKJV) 11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,
- Ephesians 1:10 (NKJV) 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him.
- 1 Peter 1:20 (NKJV) 20 He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you
- The mystery of the gospel (the cross) was foreordained before the ages: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory (1 Corinthians 2:7).
- The grace given unto us was given before the world began:
who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began (2 Timothy 1:9).
- Believers in Jesus Christ were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world: just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love (Ephesians 1:4).
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth…
With that statement the Word of God, holy Scripture, affirms the existence of the universe and everything in it as the product of God’s creative act.
- Evolution is a violation of all that modern science knows to be true.
- Evolution explains nothing definitively, offers only guesses about origins, speculation and futility about purpose, and hopelessness about the future.
Couldn’t God, have used evolution after creating the original matter?
No, evolution is impossible. Evolution, as we will clearly see, is 100% incompatible with the Bible account of origins.
Matter cannot choose to create itself and then organize itself into some higher level of complexity making quantum leaps from inanimate, to animated, to conscious life.
- Everything requires information from the outside.
- Intelligence is critical to all matter and all energy.
- Information from an intelligent, life giving source, namely God.
Genesis is the accurate, eyewitness account of the creation of the universe.
- It is not allegory, it is not symbolic, it is not spiritual representation.
- There’s nothing in the Hebrew or English text to indicate that this is a fanciful story, a mythology like the fantastical ones we have mentioned.
It is God “creating” (Bara) out of nothing (ex nihilo) by decree (fiat).
- Psalm 33:6 (NKJV) 6 By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.
- Psalm 33:9 (NKJV) 9 For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.
- Psalm 148:5 (NKJV) 5 Let them praise the name of the LORD, For He commanded and they were created.
- Mark 13:19 (NKJV) 19 For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be.
- Matthew 19:4 (NKJV) 4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’
- Romans 1:20 (NKJV) 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
- Colossians 1:15–17 (NKJV) 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
- Hebrews 1:10 (NKJV) 10 And: “You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
- Zechariah 12:1 (NKJV) … Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens (cosmos), lays the foundation of the earth (geos), and forms the spirit of man within him (pneumos)
- Romans 4:17 (NKJV) 17 (as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;
Creation = God calling into existence that which did not exist
Evolution is something appearing that has mutated from something else that already exists; that’s not creation.
The plain meaning of Genesis 1:1 is unmistakable.
- The Bible determine your system of belief…
- Or bring your system of belief to the Bible and make the Bible fit it.
“The only proper way to interpret Genesis 1 is not to ‘interpret’ it at all. That is, we accept the fact that it was meant to say exactly what it says.” (Morris)
“Where the Bible makes plain sense,
seek no other sense,
lest you turn it into nonsense”.
The ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®) is adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. All rights reserved. https://www.crossway.org/