The 4th Day
Genesis 1:14–19 (ESV) 14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. 16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. 17 And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
Day 4: the Sun, Moon, and Stars
He created the “lights, sun, moon, and stars,” not for light, but to serve as markers for signs, seasons, days, and years. signs.
All of our timekeeping is built on this EXCEPT the “week of 7 days”
The chief purpose of both the light of the first three days and the light-givers of all later days was to “divide the light from the darkness” (verses 4, 18).
It is interesting that the stars are mentioned as of only minor importance relative to the sun and moon. “He made the stars also.”
Defined: the explanation of phenomena in terms of the purpose they serve rather than of the cause by which they arise; the doctrine of design and purpose in the material world.
We begin to see the unique aspects of creation that prove it was not random but designed.
- If the expansion of the universe initially was different by 1 part in a 1,000,000,000,000,000 it would have collapsed back on itself (Hawking)
- The universe didn’t EVOLVE this precision, it started with it
- If the current gravitational force were altered by 1 part in 1040, the universe couldn’t exist (Tape measure across universe, pick any “inch” mark.. If it were 10% larger or smaller, life would cease)
- If the Earth were a tiny bit closer, or farther away from the Sun, life would cease.
- If the moon were a little closer or farther away, life would cease to exist.
- If it were tilted at a different angle, life would cease.
- If our atmosphere were slightly different, life would cease.
- Water in its exact current form is absolutely essential to everything in life.
- Even dust has perfect design and without it, life would cease. (blue sky, rain, erosion)
Genesis: Origins, Beginnings
In the Beginning (time), God (force), created (action),
the Heavens (space), and the Earth (matter).
A loving, eternal, all powerful, personal God
created us in His image for a purpose
Nothing X Nobody = EVERYTHING
The plain meaning of Genesis is unmistakable.
- Let the Bible determine your system of belief…
- Or bring your system of belief to the Bible and make the Bible fit it.
“The only proper way to interpret Genesis 1 is not to ‘interpret’ it at all. That is, we accept the fact that it was meant to say exactly what it says.” (Morris)
“Where the Bible makes plain sense,
seek no other sense,
lest you turn it into nonsense”.
The ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®) is adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. All rights reserved. https://www.crossway.org/