The 6th Day – Man
Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. “
Us … Our. The first clear indication of the triunity of God The Hebrew noun Elohim, used throughout chapter one, is plural in form, but it takes a singular verb.
God could only have been speaking to Himself; one member of the uni-plural Godhead was addressing another member or members.
The crowning point of creation, a living human, was made in God’s image to rule creation.
“ha-adam“ Adam, “man” – used to convey plurality in unity (can mean a single person, or males, or all mankind women and men).
The Hebrew language of verse 27 makes it clear that God’s image in mankind depicts humanity as distinct from animals
Three views of “made in God’s image”: Resemblance View, Relational View, Representative View:
This has Evolutionary Considerations:
Evolutionary presuppositions have tragic effects on Christian anthropology (the study of humanity).
If mankind has evolved the characteristic capacities for dominion and relationship that make us function as God’s image-bearers, then:
- Our greatest need is to continue evolving such capacity that is ultimately seen in the example of Jesus Christ.
- The doctrines of sin and salvation are destroyed.
If, however, mankind is uniquely made in the image of God as part of His original “very good” created order, then our sin problem is a reality that is only solved by the substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ who is the very image of God.
Man was to be more than simply a very complex and highly organized animal.
Evolution “might” be able to explain purely physical survival traits and abilities but can never explain morality, beauty, poetry, music, art, benevolence, charity, empathy, justice, fairness, philanthropy and creative thinking/acts.
- Mankind alone has a natural countenance looking upward.
- Mankind alone has such a variety of facial expressions.
- Mankind alone has a sense of shame expressing itself in a blush.
- Mankind alone speaks, uses real language, can create and learn language in all its forms (personal interaction, writing, software, etc).
- Mankind alone possesses personality, morality, and spirituality
- Mankind alone possesses personality: knowledge, feelings, and a will.
- Man alone is “self aware”: I exist leading to “why? How? Does it matter? What’s next?”
If we are simply a more evolved form of “animal” then why are NONE of these traits in any capacity or degree found in any species except “humankind”?
Only the Genesis account explains this, not “evolution”. Only the Genesis account explains the three most important questions that given meaning to our existence:
Where did we come from?
What is our purpose?
What happens next?
Genesis: Origins, Beginnings
In the Beginning (time), God (force), created (action),
the Heavens (space), and the Earth (matter).
A loving, eternal, all powerful, personal God
created us in His image for a purpose
Nothing X Nobody = EVERYTHING
The plain meaning of Genesis is unmistakable.
- Let the Bible determine your system of belief…
- Or bring your system of belief to the Bible and make the Bible fit it.
“The only proper way to interpret Genesis 1 is not to ‘interpret’ it at all. That is, we accept the fact that it was meant to say exactly what it says.” (Morris)
“Where the Bible makes plain sense,
seek no other sense,
lest you turn it into nonsense”.
The ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®) is adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. All rights reserved. https://www.crossway.org/